Jesus Christ Appears to a Swede
Emanuel Swedenborg: Servant of the Lord Jesus Christ
Quoting from Emanuel Swedenborg’s True Christian Religion:
THIS SECOND COMING OF THE LORD IS EFFECTED BY MEANS OF A MAN TO WHOM THE LORD HAS MANIFESTED HIMSELF IN PERSON, AND WHOM HE HAS FILLED WITH HIS SPIRIT, THAT HE MAY TEACH THE DOCTRINES OF THE NEW CHURCH FROM THE LORD BY MEANS OF THE WORD.
Since the Lord cannot manifest Himself in Person, as shown just above, and nevertheless has foretold that He was to come and establish a new church, which is the New Jerusalem, it follows that He will do this by means of a man, who is able not only to receive these doctrines in his understanding but also to publish them by the press. That the Lord manifested Himself before me, His servant, and sent me to this office, that He afterward opened the eyes of my spirit and thus introduced me into the spiritual world and granted me to see the heavens and the hells, and to talk with angels and spirits, and this now continuously for several years, I affirm in truth; as also that from the first day of that call I have not received anything whatever pertaining to the doctrines of that church from any angel, but from the Lord alone while I have read the Word.
In order that the Lord might be continuously present with me He has unfolded to me the spiritual sense of His Word, wherein is Divine truth in its very light, and it is in this light that He is continually present. For His presence in the Word is by means of the spiritual sense and in no other way; through the light of this sense He passes into the obscurity of the literal sense, which is like what takes place when the light of the sun in day-time is passing through an interposing cloud. That the sense of the letter of the Word is like a cloud, and the spiritual sense is the glory, the Lord Himself being the sun from which the light comes, and that thus the Lord is the Word, has been shown above. That “the glory” in which He is to come (Matt. 24:30), signifies Divine truth in its light, in which light the spiritual sense of the Word is, can be clearly seen from the following passages:
- The voice of one crying in the desert, prepare ye the way of Jehovah; the glory of Jehovah shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it (Isaiah 40:3, 5).
- Shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of Jehovah is risen upon thee (Isaiah 40:1 to the end).
- I will give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles, and My glory will I not give to another (Isaiah 42:6, 8; Isaiah 48:11).
- Thy light shall break forth as the morning; the glory of Jehovah shall gather thee up (Isaiah 48:8).
- All the earth shall be filled with the glory of Jehovah (Numbers 14:21; Isaiah 6:1-3; Isaiah 46:18).
- In the beginning was the Word; in Him was life, and the life was the light of men. That was the true Light. And the Word was made flesh, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father (John 1:1, 4, 9, 14).
- The heavens declare the glory of God (Psalms 19:1).
- The glory of God will lighten the Holy Jerusalem, and the Lamb is the light thereof, and the nations that are saved shall walk in the light of it (Revelation 21:23, 24).
Besides in many other places. “Glory” signifies Divine truth its fullness, because all that is magnificent in heaven is from the light that goes forth from the Lord, and the light going forth from Him as the sun there, is in its essence Divine truth.
This passage is quoted from True Christian Religion: Containing the Whole Theology of the New Church Predicted by the Lord in Daniel 7:13-14 and Revelation 21:1-2 sections 779 and 780
Search the Second Advent Christian™ Bible Using Google
More Than Basic Searching…
Stand alone words are optional in the results.
indicates that a word must be present in the results.
indicates that a word must not be present in any of the results.
indicates that a word is more important to the results
indicates that a word is less important to the results
indicate a group of words as subexpressions and may be nested.
indicates that a word is a noise word and will lower the ranking of results that contain it.
The asterisk can be used to truncate words as a kind of wildcard character.
A phrase that is enclosed in quotes returns only results that contain that exact phrase.
Subscribe to Small Canon Search’s Daily Bible Verse